Carolina Rebellion
I'd never heard of this venue, but all the young people had, so we decided to go. We go the night before and stay in a motel, looks really nice online, chain starts with a W - figure that one out. We get there late and ask for one of the carts, the lady behind the desk tells us there's one somewhere, go look on the floors. WHAT??? I didn't mention I'm on crutches with a busted Achilles...she could see that. Search every floor and can't find one, after this goose chase is over, we go back downstairs and there is one, along with a newly arrived bus full of teens and pre teens on some music trip. We finally get to the room, get showered and ready to go to bed, blow my nose and go to flush it and the toilet backs up, first flush, one tissue. The exhaust in the bathroom doesn't work so it's hell hot in there, you need a shower because of being in that room to take a shower. Go back and sit down to check email, the wifi is horrible, 2 a.m. and it takes minutes to get a page to come up. At this time I notice the air isn't working. Bob goes to tell them and they send up a guy who says yeah, that and the vent aren't working and he will tell the boss in the morning. No offer to switch rooms, no break on the cost. The two guys go to bed anyway and soon it's battle of the snorers....you can't even get used to one or the other rhythm because it will be SNORE snore SKANKKKKKKKKK so I figure what the hell I'm up all night. I try turning on storm sounds to drown it out and that just made it sound like a snore monster was coming to get me through the storm. Made it through the night and the complementary breakfast was waffles and toast. I'm pretty sure the waffles were used for a 1950s commercial...forget it...we're out of here.
Get to the concert and handicapped parking is also press parking. Yeah it is a tad closer if you call walking about 10 blocks closer and no courtesy bus. We schlep up to the gate and after a good search we get in. Another 4 blocks to the lockers and where we pick up the extra chargers (which didn't work by the way and cost $50.00). We go to the gift stand and buy some stuff we didn't need and head off to the first stage. I took a walker, thinking this would be easier...it was not. Gravel and walkers don't mix so it was a Jane Fonda worthy workout just getting to the stage. We get over there and find out they had elevated viewing area for the handicapped...well wasn't that handy. We listen to Bad Wolves, have a beer, having fun, getting fired up, now time for the next group. We slowly schlep toward the next stage, keep in mind they put them far enough apart not to overlap sound. On the way we stop so Brian can get some Chinese (best he's ever had he says). We get to the next stage and listen to a couple of bands and he goes for a drink and finds out they have margueritas....yum yum. From our vantage point we see all kindsa stuff, who has the weed, who is sunburned, who's wearing a bra, who's too drunk to walk, it's quite amusing.
After that couple of bands we head toward the big stage, and I mean big. The walk seriously took about 25 minutes to get there and the raised platform was at least 2 blocks away, but that was fine, the speakers were massive. Band playing, pay $5 for some water, then turn around to the stage behind us for another band. This older fella was sitting beside us with earplugs on just smiling and I figure well he's having fun...and at the end of the set he takes his plugs out and tells us he brought his granddaughter as a gift and he's just biding his time....and comments on how the one particular band, Trivium, has a very limted vocabulary (he's right, every other word started with F). People are tiring now, crawling up under the stages to sleep, great idea, wish we'd brought a blanket. We've been there HOURS now and can't hardly even move, much less listen. We decide we'd never have made it all weekend and we can't wait 2 hours for the next show and we start schleping to the gate, a very very long walk, then get out the gate and start the very long walk to the car. I must have looked like shit walking because a guy drove up in a golfcart and offered to give us a ride to the vehicle. PRAISE ANY POWERS THAT BE.........On the 5 hour ride home we barely even spoke.....we were that tired. Went to bed early and when I got up I decided I wish we had stayed for the next day. Naps conquer all!!!
Get to the concert and handicapped parking is also press parking. Yeah it is a tad closer if you call walking about 10 blocks closer and no courtesy bus. We schlep up to the gate and after a good search we get in. Another 4 blocks to the lockers and where we pick up the extra chargers (which didn't work by the way and cost $50.00). We go to the gift stand and buy some stuff we didn't need and head off to the first stage. I took a walker, thinking this would be easier...it was not. Gravel and walkers don't mix so it was a Jane Fonda worthy workout just getting to the stage. We get over there and find out they had elevated viewing area for the handicapped...well wasn't that handy. We listen to Bad Wolves, have a beer, having fun, getting fired up, now time for the next group. We slowly schlep toward the next stage, keep in mind they put them far enough apart not to overlap sound. On the way we stop so Brian can get some Chinese (best he's ever had he says). We get to the next stage and listen to a couple of bands and he goes for a drink and finds out they have margueritas....yum yum. From our vantage point we see all kindsa stuff, who has the weed, who is sunburned, who's wearing a bra, who's too drunk to walk, it's quite amusing.
After that couple of bands we head toward the big stage, and I mean big. The walk seriously took about 25 minutes to get there and the raised platform was at least 2 blocks away, but that was fine, the speakers were massive. Band playing, pay $5 for some water, then turn around to the stage behind us for another band. This older fella was sitting beside us with earplugs on just smiling and I figure well he's having fun...and at the end of the set he takes his plugs out and tells us he brought his granddaughter as a gift and he's just biding his time....and comments on how the one particular band, Trivium, has a very limted vocabulary (he's right, every other word started with F). People are tiring now, crawling up under the stages to sleep, great idea, wish we'd brought a blanket. We've been there HOURS now and can't hardly even move, much less listen. We decide we'd never have made it all weekend and we can't wait 2 hours for the next show and we start schleping to the gate, a very very long walk, then get out the gate and start the very long walk to the car. I must have looked like shit walking because a guy drove up in a golfcart and offered to give us a ride to the vehicle. PRAISE ANY POWERS THAT BE.........On the 5 hour ride home we barely even spoke.....we were that tired. Went to bed early and when I got up I decided I wish we had stayed for the next day. Naps conquer all!!!
Comments
Post a Comment