Hearing echoes

I just read Lawrence Taylor got off basically scott-free for an alleged rape of a teenaged girl, this after admitting the act happened but saying "she said she was 19."  How many young men do we have sitting in jail right now because of girls actually telling them they were older, or for consentual sex between two people who were or felt they were in love.  It seems there is a different set of rules for the "haves" and "have nots."  I'm sure if he didn't have a high-paid lawyer he wouldn't have walked. And what's with the wife all up on TV talking about he didn't do it and all that.  I might have been on TV but it would have been for taking an iron skillet to his stupid ass.

It seems our value system as a whole has broken down significantly.  Look at the reality shows and our young "stars."  Snookie...please. All I can say is "why."  I'm not sure what exactly she is or why she is famous for being it, but from here it looks like a train wreck waiting on the cleanup.  Charlie Sheen?  A drug-abusing loser, allegedly abuses his women, we can all see what his kids are going through, yet people hang on every crazy rant he makes.  Do you care? I sure don't.  Brittany shaves her head and makes the news. I had a bad haircut once and shaved mine, didn't even phase the neighbors.  Jennifer Aniston - She's pregnant or adopting every week.  All I see is a string of one night stands going in and out the door.  Angelina?  She's a homewrecker plain and simple, right along with Brad, and now they have a bunch of ill behaved children.  Woop de doo.  Reality shows are scripted, big shock there people.  Life isn't that interesting unless you like watching people go down the toilet.  Let's see a reality show about a woman who works 2 jobs to raise her kids because her low-life husband/boyfriend took off, the man raising his kids alone.  


Churches are on their way out the door, nobody goes anymore.  Sure there were tons of fakes out there in our day and now, but still it seemed when parents and grandparents went it set some values in the kids.  You also had a sense of community. I played Santa every year at Kimberly Church of God, mainly because I was the only 5 feet 10 inches tall 9 year old around, and I did it up until around age 14.  I sang in the choir, was involved in all the bake sales, went carrolling.  I am not religious now in any way, but it didn't HURT me in the least.  The picnics were amazing, getting together with all the kids was amazing.  I did get in trouble at church for giggling at the video of communists poking out your eardrums for listening to the word of God.  I got kicked out of Johnny Hurley's church twice.  Once for my aunt cutting my hair when I was 8 or 9 (hair is a woman's glory) and the second time for taking up the serpent (I played with a greensnake).  This kinda killed the gusto for me, especially seeing stuff that went on in the establishment.  Still, I don't think it hurt anybody who went.  Kids and it seems parents need some structure besides all the psychiatrists for kids, all the pills, etc.  Notice the diagnosis of ADD came around right about when they stopped recess?  Whoda thunk it, kids need some time to go out and play and yell when they are little.

I miss the stars of yesterday. Remember when the biggest scandal was how many times Liz Taylor was married?  They had their skeletons but they were just that, skeletons.  They were classy in public where they needed to be.  Will there ever be another Jimmy Stewart or Clint Eastwood, I don't think so.  

All this and past year's newfound stardom and the breakdown of the home have had a horrible impact on our children, on our homelives.  Parents are different, kids are different.  I believe Dr. Spock was a nut case.  Remember back when we were in school if somebody got pregnant it was the stuff of whispers and all you ever heard was if the parents were more open this wouldn't happen?  So what's the excuse now?  No more paddling, no more school disclipline, no more home disclipline (except for Oklahoma).  You didn't DARE talk back to a teacher, to your parents, to a cop, or to your neighbors who were just as likely to chew you out or call YOUR parents.   Now with both parents working (at times multiple jobs) there's nobody even home to raise the kids.  They seem to have no sense of working, no sense of values, no sense of even love, no respect for anybody including elders, and absolutely no respect.  The language and drama still take me aback at times.  I knew of ONE person who said the "f" word in school and even that bothered me.  I really miss that time of ignorance, not knowing every little thing going on in the news, not saying those words, not seeing half-naked people all the time.  I saw my grandfather by accident ONE time in his underwear and both of us about died of embarrassment.  Nothing untoward was ever said in earshot of a child.  Mom only had one curse word and she used it when she was infuriated at my stepdad, started with an F and ended in face, and if we heard that word we knew to get the hell out of dodge and quick!  No trashy TV shows, I wasn't even allowed to watch MASH when it came out, so I snuck off to a friends house to see what the scuttlebutt was, boy was I disappointed.  We aspired to work and make a living and did work all the time growing up, no payment as a bribe, a job needed done and you did it, often times not being asked.  We cut grass, babysat, cleaned houses, washed cars, etc., up until the tender age of 14 when we could legally work.  If we were late getting home, boy did we get in trouble.  You had to try and locate a payphone in an emergency and you didn't even think of not reporting in.  If you went somewhere you told them.  If boyfriends came over, they came in, not sat outside and blew the horn.  They actually had to talk to your parents.  What do we see now?  Young girls who are drunks, use drugs, and sleep with guys as often as we change underwear.  We see kids disappearing, men killing their wives and girlfriends, their children, their bosses.  Jobs are gone, retirement gone, working an 8-hour day 5 days a week gone, vacations gone, security gone.  Yeah Dr. Spock, your book and all the openness really worked well didn't it?  I know, I sound like my grandparents......maybe so.

Comments

Popular Posts