Shaun Morgan and Seether
I liked Seether before I knew who they were. My son would play his music when we went places and very often I would ask him who was playing because I liked the music, but with my memory loss I would forget their name. One particular song I liked was Rise Above This, and this was before I knew what the song was about. I downloaded it and mixed it in with other music and then one day my son told me what it was about, Shaun's brother's suicide. When I listen to a song I pull from it, no matter who sings. If I can't pull something, then it doesn't interest me. I had to look up Shaun's brother and find out the story, which was heartbreaking. I needed to try and understand the background to possibly put a why with it.
The more I listened, the more I liked. I started my love for the band with the Poison the Parish CD. From the really hard Stoke the Fire, to Betray and Degrade, I was a fan. It got to the point when I was in my den paying bills, I had Seether on youtube playing and I was singing along. I ended up getting a signed poster and putting that on the wall with my Pearl Jam poster. My getting to enjoy music had only been getting to listen on short trips around town. With this music, I started to get some of my enjoyment back and in that process, started to feel maybe a little younger and in those few moments, forget my physical impairments, of which there are many. I started to look forward to doing my work in the den, doing laundry, etc.
Just by chance I looked up their concert schedule and found they would be at 98RockFest in Ladson, South Carolina. I found this out in January and with no clue really how far away it was or how my health would be, I bought the tickets. Two weeks before concert time I snapped my Achilles tendon and they recommended surgery......no way....one reason because I can't wear that kind of boot and another reason is because no fucking way was I going to miss this concert. I nearly chickened out a couple of times due to being afraid of being too old to be there, how I would get around on my bad leg, and being out in the crowd. I hadn't been to a concert since Garth Brooks back in 1995. Could I still do this? Right after my brain injury I couldn't even be around music, it put me more off balance and I couldn't take the volume; so, there were a lot of worries. Bob knew somebody who knew somebody who was to try and get us a meet and greet. This also terrified me....would I sound stupid? How could I saw what I wanted to say without holding them up? Am I too old to do this?
Friday, April 20, Bob, Brian and I headed out. We thought we'd get there a day early to explore around Charleston, South Carolina. We toured the Boone Plantation and went by the harbour. I have to say I was a little disappointed, just not that much to look at. The old homes on the water were gorgeous, but I knew I'd never want to be there permanently, you can only look at water so much. We did have a nice dinner, I love whitefish and I was not disappointed at all. We returned to the room originally thinking about catching a movie, but we were too tired and just hung out that evening.
Sunday morning we decided to go a little early. We had VIP tickets and had early entry anyway, but we weren't sure exactly where we were going. When we got to the Fairgrounds, there was another car parked so we pulled up beside them and sat there a bit, saw vehicles going through where we were and way to the back. I asked the people in the next car if they knew where we were to go, and they were rolling their window down to ask us at the same time. We decided to follow the other cars, and a few minutes back there was someone guiding everyone. We parked only 3 rows back and maybe 1,000 feet from the entrance, not too awful bad for an old lady on crutches. We got in line and while Bob went to find out where we were to enter, Brian and I talked to people in line, which was a lot of fun. After we found out where we were to line up, we were second in line to a group of young teens who were the spiked hair, nose ring type and actually very friendly, as were the people behind us. I guess when you have that type of event in common you really can't be an ass, nor would you want to be. As I looked down the line, I was relieved we weren't in any event the oldest. I saw people who looked Bob's age, the Viet Nam era age.
They eventually led us in with directions to the VIP tent. I hobbled along as quick as I could. Our area was a tent covered, fenced in space with several tables with chairs, a small stage in the tent, and a bar. To the right was an elevated area for us to stand on and a larger area in front and to the side to view the main stage which was probably 100 feet from us. Our first drink was free, so I had rum and pineapple and then moved on to beer. The general admission area started to fill up and we went to the elevated area to watch and listen to the sound checks and filler music. We saw people even with walkers who came to enjoy the show. We talked to a guy who said he'd seen 600 concerts so far...I thought there's a man who knows how to enjoy life. We sat at a table with 5 people we didn't know from Adam, but it didn't matter. The 4 women across from us asked to have their pics taken and I obliged, the mother of the group was about my age, assuming the girls were her daughters, and they were all very happy and animated. The guy sitting alone was somewhat reserved. We did try and make a little conversation with him but he seemed shy. We didn't see Bob, he was off in pursuit of autographs.
Before the first act, Starset came and played an acoustic set and they did a David Bowie cover which was great. Bob stayed right up next to them so he could get his album signed.
The first act was the winner of the battle of the bands, Deadontime. They were actually very good and I thought they would make a fantastic opening act. I found out posters were being given out in a tent across on stage right and Bob went over there to find bands were giving autographs. Starset cancelled their session and Fozzy left early, conceited dick he is, I wasn't surprised. After the first band, Red played. I had no clue who they were but Brian was thrilled. I really liked them as well, which prompted him to look at me and say "who ARE you?" I told him "you don't know me" haha. I told him I was a rocker from the age of 14 and I was. I suppressed who I am while trying to be the perfect wife, mother, employee, etc., and then when my oldest passed, I just went inside myself and I have to say I'm still there to a great extent.
Next 10 Years came on. We had planted ourselves up against our fenced area and I had a folding chair I brought out. The guy in front of us was former military and told us stories about his flights through weather and all that. He had his daughter with him, a little goth teen who was very nice. He got up and headbanged and rocked out to everything playing. I liked 10 Years a lot, another new one for me.
After 10 Years, Bob came back and said he got the call we were to go stage right to go meet Seether. We couldn't believe it and I think Brian went into a trance best described as shock. We tried to go around the back side, but there was a pond, so we had 8 minutes to get through a crowd of thousands of people. One good thing about being on crutches is people part for you. Honey I went through that crowd like my crutches had jet propulsion on them. We got to the other side and told the lady why we were there and she really wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. Bob texted his contact who came out to get us. Brian was just beside himself and it was actually funny. We watched all the backstage goings on and the Jericho dude was walking by. Bob tried to get his attention but he couldn't be bothered by us mortals. Fozzy started playing while we were backstage, which was actually a good thing as they were somebody I didn't care to see. We watched and saw the band coming from their tour bus...at this point Brian whimpered lol They came up with the official photographers from the rock station. We were the only general people there, the other few were winners of the radio contests.
They took us first, and I put my crutches on the wall, not a great thing since I staggered like a drunk. While Bob and Brian talked to the band, I went straight-legged to Shaun. I told him I skipped surgery to be there and he said "is that a good idea" and I said sure was. I think showed him my tattoo of Chris with Rise Above This tattooed over. I was struggling a little to stand up so he rolled up my sleeve and said "awesome." At this point Bob had his albums signed, Brian shook hands with the band, and the photographers asked for the formal pic. So I turned and faced them, standing beside Shaun. He put his arm around me and I did the same and for a brief period I thought I would die right there. I wished my daughter was there because people are so drawn to her he would have left the band, gone to dinner, and given her tickets and plane fare to every concert coming up. As we left, one of the photographers was walking backwards and bumped into me and she nearly cried and hugged me and kept saying how sorry she was. I told her it's perfectly fine! No harm done.
We went back to our area happy campers. Fozzy was still playing and were now screaming/growling with the music all the way up, and at this point we brought out the earplugs. Next Startset came out. They had an interesting stage show, wearing space suits that lit up and a lot of smoke. I didn't care for the songs, it was like they were doing a rock opera or something. I just talked to the Air Force guy and his daughter.
There was a woman outside our fence but very close who was at least 65, or she looked 65 from barhopping. She was so drunk she dropped her drink and food, took her shoes off, told me somebody will steal my crutches, the guy next to me his cell phone was on the ground and he needed to get it (it was a charger). She was yelling for Starset to take their clothes off so she could do things I won't say here. She yelled, slurred, cursed, danced, nearly fell a lot. Her dancing was shaking and putting her head down nearly to the ground. She shook the entire fence.
Seether came out and the crowd went wild. We all knew all the words, and Shaun paused many times and let the crowd sing. They went into a frenzy, crowd surfing, throwing water, coke, beer, shoes, clothes (it was pretty funny). Miss Drunk Lady started screaming nothing stood between her and her f***ing Seether and how ready she was, and 2 really young guys came up to her and started rubbing on her and she was all for it. I told Brian this was going to be another of a long list of one-night stands for her. We were able to block her out and sing along with everybody there, it was amazing. Their set was an hour but seemed like 10 minutes, it was over way too soon. We left there exhausted but full of adrenaline and played music the 6-1/2 hours home. It was amazing and we started our plan for Carolina Rebellion.
I told Brian I detected a sadness from Shaun and I started to listen to interviews to learn more about him and the band. Sadly, he had a horrible background and although I was neglected terribly, I felt so bad for him I wanted to just hug him and tell him how important HE is (not the music) and to hold his head up. You can't fix how somebody feels about themselves, but you sure wish you can try to make it better. I also read the song Pass Slowly, which I had heard for the first time, was also about his brother who died and watching the video and listening to the song make me cry. I thought how amazing and incredibly sad to be able to put into words how you feel and have the whole world get in on it. I think it many ways it would be cathartic, but probably wouldn't be sung in a concert venue because it's not the hard rock/metal people come to expect. People think how these bands must be all kinds of happy and rich and how great that would be, but now how lonely it would be to be on the road all the damned time, and as Shawn put it, you can eat the same food all the time and no matter what you add to it, it's the same food. It's like you play to keep from going insane, yet the constant touring leans you away from perfectly sane. I feel for him and Shaun, if you see this, thank you for what you do, thank you for the suicide prevention concerts, thank you for putting into words what those of us who have lost loved ones could not. We love you for the man you are, not just for the music. Thank you from a crippled up lady who forgot her problems for just a few hours that Sunday.
The more I listened, the more I liked. I started my love for the band with the Poison the Parish CD. From the really hard Stoke the Fire, to Betray and Degrade, I was a fan. It got to the point when I was in my den paying bills, I had Seether on youtube playing and I was singing along. I ended up getting a signed poster and putting that on the wall with my Pearl Jam poster. My getting to enjoy music had only been getting to listen on short trips around town. With this music, I started to get some of my enjoyment back and in that process, started to feel maybe a little younger and in those few moments, forget my physical impairments, of which there are many. I started to look forward to doing my work in the den, doing laundry, etc.
Just by chance I looked up their concert schedule and found they would be at 98RockFest in Ladson, South Carolina. I found this out in January and with no clue really how far away it was or how my health would be, I bought the tickets. Two weeks before concert time I snapped my Achilles tendon and they recommended surgery......no way....one reason because I can't wear that kind of boot and another reason is because no fucking way was I going to miss this concert. I nearly chickened out a couple of times due to being afraid of being too old to be there, how I would get around on my bad leg, and being out in the crowd. I hadn't been to a concert since Garth Brooks back in 1995. Could I still do this? Right after my brain injury I couldn't even be around music, it put me more off balance and I couldn't take the volume; so, there were a lot of worries. Bob knew somebody who knew somebody who was to try and get us a meet and greet. This also terrified me....would I sound stupid? How could I saw what I wanted to say without holding them up? Am I too old to do this?
Friday, April 20, Bob, Brian and I headed out. We thought we'd get there a day early to explore around Charleston, South Carolina. We toured the Boone Plantation and went by the harbour. I have to say I was a little disappointed, just not that much to look at. The old homes on the water were gorgeous, but I knew I'd never want to be there permanently, you can only look at water so much. We did have a nice dinner, I love whitefish and I was not disappointed at all. We returned to the room originally thinking about catching a movie, but we were too tired and just hung out that evening.
Sunday morning we decided to go a little early. We had VIP tickets and had early entry anyway, but we weren't sure exactly where we were going. When we got to the Fairgrounds, there was another car parked so we pulled up beside them and sat there a bit, saw vehicles going through where we were and way to the back. I asked the people in the next car if they knew where we were to go, and they were rolling their window down to ask us at the same time. We decided to follow the other cars, and a few minutes back there was someone guiding everyone. We parked only 3 rows back and maybe 1,000 feet from the entrance, not too awful bad for an old lady on crutches. We got in line and while Bob went to find out where we were to enter, Brian and I talked to people in line, which was a lot of fun. After we found out where we were to line up, we were second in line to a group of young teens who were the spiked hair, nose ring type and actually very friendly, as were the people behind us. I guess when you have that type of event in common you really can't be an ass, nor would you want to be. As I looked down the line, I was relieved we weren't in any event the oldest. I saw people who looked Bob's age, the Viet Nam era age.
They eventually led us in with directions to the VIP tent. I hobbled along as quick as I could. Our area was a tent covered, fenced in space with several tables with chairs, a small stage in the tent, and a bar. To the right was an elevated area for us to stand on and a larger area in front and to the side to view the main stage which was probably 100 feet from us. Our first drink was free, so I had rum and pineapple and then moved on to beer. The general admission area started to fill up and we went to the elevated area to watch and listen to the sound checks and filler music. We saw people even with walkers who came to enjoy the show. We talked to a guy who said he'd seen 600 concerts so far...I thought there's a man who knows how to enjoy life. We sat at a table with 5 people we didn't know from Adam, but it didn't matter. The 4 women across from us asked to have their pics taken and I obliged, the mother of the group was about my age, assuming the girls were her daughters, and they were all very happy and animated. The guy sitting alone was somewhat reserved. We did try and make a little conversation with him but he seemed shy. We didn't see Bob, he was off in pursuit of autographs.
Before the first act, Starset came and played an acoustic set and they did a David Bowie cover which was great. Bob stayed right up next to them so he could get his album signed.
The first act was the winner of the battle of the bands, Deadontime. They were actually very good and I thought they would make a fantastic opening act. I found out posters were being given out in a tent across on stage right and Bob went over there to find bands were giving autographs. Starset cancelled their session and Fozzy left early, conceited dick he is, I wasn't surprised. After the first band, Red played. I had no clue who they were but Brian was thrilled. I really liked them as well, which prompted him to look at me and say "who ARE you?" I told him "you don't know me" haha. I told him I was a rocker from the age of 14 and I was. I suppressed who I am while trying to be the perfect wife, mother, employee, etc., and then when my oldest passed, I just went inside myself and I have to say I'm still there to a great extent.
Next 10 Years came on. We had planted ourselves up against our fenced area and I had a folding chair I brought out. The guy in front of us was former military and told us stories about his flights through weather and all that. He had his daughter with him, a little goth teen who was very nice. He got up and headbanged and rocked out to everything playing. I liked 10 Years a lot, another new one for me.
After 10 Years, Bob came back and said he got the call we were to go stage right to go meet Seether. We couldn't believe it and I think Brian went into a trance best described as shock. We tried to go around the back side, but there was a pond, so we had 8 minutes to get through a crowd of thousands of people. One good thing about being on crutches is people part for you. Honey I went through that crowd like my crutches had jet propulsion on them. We got to the other side and told the lady why we were there and she really wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. Bob texted his contact who came out to get us. Brian was just beside himself and it was actually funny. We watched all the backstage goings on and the Jericho dude was walking by. Bob tried to get his attention but he couldn't be bothered by us mortals. Fozzy started playing while we were backstage, which was actually a good thing as they were somebody I didn't care to see. We watched and saw the band coming from their tour bus...at this point Brian whimpered lol They came up with the official photographers from the rock station. We were the only general people there, the other few were winners of the radio contests.
They took us first, and I put my crutches on the wall, not a great thing since I staggered like a drunk. While Bob and Brian talked to the band, I went straight-legged to Shaun. I told him I skipped surgery to be there and he said "is that a good idea" and I said sure was. I think showed him my tattoo of Chris with Rise Above This tattooed over. I was struggling a little to stand up so he rolled up my sleeve and said "awesome." At this point Bob had his albums signed, Brian shook hands with the band, and the photographers asked for the formal pic. So I turned and faced them, standing beside Shaun. He put his arm around me and I did the same and for a brief period I thought I would die right there. I wished my daughter was there because people are so drawn to her he would have left the band, gone to dinner, and given her tickets and plane fare to every concert coming up. As we left, one of the photographers was walking backwards and bumped into me and she nearly cried and hugged me and kept saying how sorry she was. I told her it's perfectly fine! No harm done.
We went back to our area happy campers. Fozzy was still playing and were now screaming/growling with the music all the way up, and at this point we brought out the earplugs. Next Startset came out. They had an interesting stage show, wearing space suits that lit up and a lot of smoke. I didn't care for the songs, it was like they were doing a rock opera or something. I just talked to the Air Force guy and his daughter.
There was a woman outside our fence but very close who was at least 65, or she looked 65 from barhopping. She was so drunk she dropped her drink and food, took her shoes off, told me somebody will steal my crutches, the guy next to me his cell phone was on the ground and he needed to get it (it was a charger). She was yelling for Starset to take their clothes off so she could do things I won't say here. She yelled, slurred, cursed, danced, nearly fell a lot. Her dancing was shaking and putting her head down nearly to the ground. She shook the entire fence.
Seether came out and the crowd went wild. We all knew all the words, and Shaun paused many times and let the crowd sing. They went into a frenzy, crowd surfing, throwing water, coke, beer, shoes, clothes (it was pretty funny). Miss Drunk Lady started screaming nothing stood between her and her f***ing Seether and how ready she was, and 2 really young guys came up to her and started rubbing on her and she was all for it. I told Brian this was going to be another of a long list of one-night stands for her. We were able to block her out and sing along with everybody there, it was amazing. Their set was an hour but seemed like 10 minutes, it was over way too soon. We left there exhausted but full of adrenaline and played music the 6-1/2 hours home. It was amazing and we started our plan for Carolina Rebellion.
I told Brian I detected a sadness from Shaun and I started to listen to interviews to learn more about him and the band. Sadly, he had a horrible background and although I was neglected terribly, I felt so bad for him I wanted to just hug him and tell him how important HE is (not the music) and to hold his head up. You can't fix how somebody feels about themselves, but you sure wish you can try to make it better. I also read the song Pass Slowly, which I had heard for the first time, was also about his brother who died and watching the video and listening to the song make me cry. I thought how amazing and incredibly sad to be able to put into words how you feel and have the whole world get in on it. I think it many ways it would be cathartic, but probably wouldn't be sung in a concert venue because it's not the hard rock/metal people come to expect. People think how these bands must be all kinds of happy and rich and how great that would be, but now how lonely it would be to be on the road all the damned time, and as Shawn put it, you can eat the same food all the time and no matter what you add to it, it's the same food. It's like you play to keep from going insane, yet the constant touring leans you away from perfectly sane. I feel for him and Shaun, if you see this, thank you for what you do, thank you for the suicide prevention concerts, thank you for putting into words what those of us who have lost loved ones could not. We love you for the man you are, not just for the music. Thank you from a crippled up lady who forgot her problems for just a few hours that Sunday.

Comments
Post a Comment